The beauty and elegance of your living room depends on proper maintenance of the furniture that fills it. After all who doesn’t want to create a good impression on their guests and brag a little about their plush living room decoration, right? Leather sofas are an important component of many living rooms. Hence, proper maintenance of leather sofas is very essential to preserve the grace and beauty of your living room.
Here are 10 essential tips that will guide you to take proper care of your leather furniture.
1. Follow Instructions: In order to take proper care of your couch, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Cleaning: Ideally you should contact the manufacturer to clean your furniture. Alternatively you can use the help of professional cleaners to clean leather sofas without damage. If you prefer to clean modern sofas yourself, always use a vacuum for loose dirt or soap to remove stains. Ensure that you are using a soap without chemical additives.
3. Avoid harsh cleaning solutions: You should never use harsh cleansing solutions to clean modern sofas as they might damage the surface of the leather drastically.
4. Protect leather sofas from direct sunlight: Excessive heat and direct sunlight can damage leather and cause it to develop cracks. Therefore, ensure that your leather furniture is placed away from direct sunlight or shield your living room with blinds or drapery for protection.
5. Clean up spills immediately: Leather is extremely porous in nature and if you don’t clean the spills instantly, the liquid will penetrate and can leave an everlasting stain on your furniture.
6. Take special care for removing stains: You should follow different procedures to remove different kind of stains. For example, in order to get rid of an ink stain, use a cotton swab and dipped in Isopropyl alcohol. Then gently rub the cotton swab on the stain. Next, dry the area with the help of a hair drier, set on the lowest heat setting. For removing grease stains, avoid using water and instead clean the stain using a dry rag.
7. Daily Maintenance: Clean your leather regularly using a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth to get rid of dust from the surface. Also, you should use a leather conditioner once every three months. To protect the natural sheen of leather, use leather protectant spray once every month.
8. Get professional help: If you notice any cracks or rips on your leather sofa, contact your retailer or ask for the assistance of a professional sofa repair company.
9. Protect sofas from sharp objects: You should always protect your leather from sharp objects like knives or scissors. Even jewelry can leave ugly scratches.
10. Keep pets away: Pets can seriously damage leather furniture. I know you love your little ones, but make sure you train them to not jump on your furniture, or assign them their spot on a blanket to protect the sofa.
Sofas constitute the main component of a stylish living room; therefore you should take regular care of your leather sofa. The above tips will help you maintain the integrity of your product and enhance the longevity of your leather sofa.