Modern sofas come in all different colors , sizes, designs and materials; the sleek modern sectional with dark grey fabric, a peppy red vinyl loveseat or a classy traditional genuine leather couch. And you’ve certainly come across the term “Chesterfield”. In fact my mother in law uses it all the time, for all kinds of furniture. But that’s another story….
Where does that distinctive name come from?
Even though the term may be used more broadly in daily use, strictly speaking, there are certain well defined criteria that that make a Chesterfield. There are leather sofas, chairs, chaises and other furniture made in the classic Chesterfield style. As is common, the name originates from a person, in this case, the English Lord Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield (1694 – 1773). In his old age, the Earl asked for production of a sofa that should be of high quality and express royal class. Based on the proverbial British stiffness, of course, it had to accommodate a comfortable, upright seating position.
The quilted upholstery with buttons emerged as the main aspect of identification for this type of furniture. Top grade leather as well as a back rest at the same height as the armrests form a further point of distinction. Today, we see many adapted versions of the Chesterfield, some of them very close to the original, others a modern interpretation of the design. Most of them strive to maintain the same elegance that was attributed to that sofa of the 1700’s. Read more on Wikipedia.
Leather furniture can add beauty and sophistication to any room, no question. A well made leather sofa is durable and can last for generations. However, the market place is currently full of diverse leather and leather-like products for you to choose or rather confuse! Understanding the leather products will help you to make the right choice when shopping.
Difference between genuine leather and bonded leather
Genuine leather is made from the hides and skins of animals. They are then tanned with vegetable tannins and chromium salts. They are known for strength and grained texture. Whereas bonded leather is shaped when leather scraps and fibers are mixed together. They are then twisted into a roll using glue or other bonding materials.
It is very hard to differentiate between bonded leather and genuine leather as far as quality and looks are concerned. If the bonded leather is done suitably it may look akin to genuine leather with the same smell, appearance and function. In that case, you may look for the texture of the bonded leather which may not be as well-defined as that of the natural-grained genuine leather. While bonded leather has the reputation of being not as durable as genuine leather, the bonded leather on my BMW seats holds up very well. It actually looks even better than some of its genuine counter parts, which tend to become wrinkly over time. On the other hand, genuine leather has the reputation of getting better with age. It usually becomes more soft and worn in, giving it the unique look.
The cost advantage is the main benefit of bonded leather. Due to its economical price (bonded leathers are 30% percent less) many people can afford high-end furniture—great looking designs at low price.
And here is an entirely different perspective: Considering the fact that bonded leather is made from scraps, that would otherwise be wasted, it might be a good idea to go for bonded leather furniture from an environmental point of view.
Beliani uses both bonded and genuine leather for their modern leather sofas. Thus, harvesting the advantages of both materials.
The beauty and elegance of your living room depends on proper maintenance of the furniture that fills it. After all who doesn’t want to create a good impression on their guests and brag a little about their plush living room decoration, right? Leather sofas are an important component of many living rooms. Hence, proper maintenance of leather sofas is very essential to preserve the grace and beauty of your living room.
Here are 10 essential tips that will guide you to take proper care of your leather furniture.
1. Follow Instructions: In order to take proper care of your couch, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Cleaning: Ideally you should contact the manufacturer to clean your furniture. Alternatively you can use the help of professional cleaners to clean leather sofas without damage. If you prefer to clean modern sofas yourself, always use a vacuum for loose dirt or soap to remove stains. Ensure that you are using a soap without chemical additives.
3. Avoid harshcleaning solutions: You should never use harsh cleansing solutions to clean modern sofas as they might damage the surface of the leather drastically.
4. Protect leather sofas from direct sunlight: Excessive heat and direct sunlight can damage leather and cause it to develop cracks. Therefore, ensure that your leather furniture is placed away from direct sunlight or shield your living room with blinds or drapery for protection.
5. Clean up spills immediately: Leather is extremely porous in nature and if you don’t clean the spills instantly, the liquid will penetrate and can leave an everlasting stain on your furniture.
6. Take special care for removing stains: You should follow different procedures to remove different kind of stains. For example, in order to get rid of an ink stain, use a cotton swab and dipped in Isopropyl alcohol. Then gently rub the cotton swab on the stain. Next, dry the area with the help of a hair drier, set on the lowest heat setting. For removing grease stains, avoid using water and instead clean the stain using a dry rag.
7. Daily Maintenance: Clean your leather regularly using a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth to get rid of dust from the surface. Also, you should use a leather conditioner once every three months. To protect the natural sheen of leather, use leather protectant spray once every month.
8. Get professional help: If you notice any cracks or rips on your leather sofa, contact your retailer or ask for the assistance of a professional sofa repair company.
9. Protect sofas from sharp objects: You should always protect your leather from sharp objects like knives or scissors. Even jewelry can leave ugly scratches.
10. Keep pets away: Pets can seriously damage leather furniture. I know you love your little ones, but make sure you train them to not jump on your furniture, or assign them their spot on a blanket to protect the sofa.
Sofas constitute the main component of a stylish living room; therefore you should take regular care of your leather sofa. The above tips will help you maintain the integrity of your product and enhance the longevity of your leather sofa.
Are you bored of your sofa set and planning to give your living room a facelift with new modern sofas?
Here is a peek at the best sofa designs for 2012 to jazz up your living room.
1) Modern Pluff Sofa: For those who are looking for unique sofa designs, these modern pluff circular sofas designed by Massimo Losa Ghini would be the ideal choice for you. The pluff sofas are designed to provide you with optimum comfort and luxury. The extravagant sofas made in Italy are available in a wide variety of designs and colors. These exceptionally designed plush sofas can be a great addition to pep up your living room as well as your library.
2) 2012 Red Nest Style Circular Sofas: If you are looking for a comfy couch for your living room, then you might consider the Red Nest. These modern sofas are uniquely designed to steal your heart at first sight. The round shape and corners of this sofa make it a cozy cocoon. Nest style sofas are so comfortable that once you sink into it, you will never want to get up! The European design is especially suited for sleek interiors.
3) Small Trendy Sofa Design: Do you have a small living room with limited space to place a sofa? For those who find it difficult to beautify their living rooms with classy sofas, a small trendy sofa could be the best choice for you. Many fashionable designers are creating small couches and settees specifically intended for small spaces. Besides being comfortable and stylish, these sofas are an efficient way to add elegance to a small living room. So overcome the challenge of redecorating a small living room and wow your guests with a small trendy sofa this year!
4) Colorful Exotic Sofa: Are you someone who loves to experiment with different colors? If yes, then these colorful modern sofas are meant for you.
Each color has its own significance and expression. Moreover, a colorful ambiance uplifts our mood and spirit. Why not give your room a colorful makeover this year with a sofa like this? The popular European design will symbolize your lively and jovial personality. So, get this trendy sofa for your living room and let the colors do the talking!
A sofa is a very personal choice and reflects on your personality. If you are looking to add a stylish European design sofa to your living room, visit Beliani.com and check out the new collection of leather sofas and modern sectionals. A unique sofa design will surely spice up your living room and enhance your quality of life.
This is just one of the Italian design leather sofas that Beliani is bringing to Canada. There are many products out there to choose from and certainly no lack of retailers for sofas and other furniture. But here is the thing: If you go to the Brick, Leon’s and the like, you are not going to spend a lot of money, but you also know, you will get furniture at the lower end of the scale. If you want a nice modern design, and don’t want to spend $5000 or more on a nice sectional, you’re most likely out of luck.
Beliani overcomes all the obstacles involved with furniture such as modern design sofas. Purchasing directly from manufacturers and selling online, cuts down on the cost significantly, and guess what, the consumer benefits by paying much less than with a conventional retailer.
Now there are drawbacks too: Beliani cannot offer a huge variety of products. The collection is limited to a few different models in only a few colours. And there are no beautifully decorated retail stores in the middle of downtown. But Beliani can offer a great customer service over the phone and online, and a 14-day full money back guarantee.